How do you know which is the right hearing aid for you? There are over 1,000 different hearing solutions on the market in a range shapes, sizes, colour price and performance level. The variety can be overwhelming.
Hidden amongst all these hearing devices is your ideal hearing solution and we at Mac Hearing Audiology Clinic are here to help you find it.
What Are Hearing Aids?
Hearing aids are highly sophisticated communication devices that act as an aid to reduce your hearing loss problems. While there are many types of hearing devices, our modern hearing aids are very sophisticated. they can:
- Amplify quiet sounds, but not over-amplify loud ones
- Make speech understandable while suppressing disruptive noise in loud environments
- Allow you to recognise where sounds are coming from
What are the different types of hearing aids?
Today’s modern hearing devices are tiny and almost invisible. They are nothing like the ‘beige bananas’ you may have seen in years gone by. You will have a choice of invisible, in-the-ear devices or discreet behind-the-ear instruments. These come in a range of styles and you can even choose from a wide range of colours to match your skin or to make a fashion statement.
- Behind-the-ear Hearing Aids
This is a very popular type of hearing device. These days they are now light, very small and almost invisible when in use.
- In the ear Hearing Aids
You may prefer to have a custom hearing instrument fitted in your ear canal. How visible the device is will depend on the size of your ear canal. In some cases these can be completely invisible
How Do Hearing Aids Work?
- A microphone picks up sounds
- Sounds are analysed by the processing chip
- Processed sounds are sent to the amplifier
- Amplified sounds are sent to the loudspeaker
- Sounds are transmitted by the loudspeaker into the inner ear where they are transformed into electrical impulses
- Impulses are picked up by the brain where they are processed.