Hearing aids are a significant investment, so we recommend you to learn how to clean and maintain them.
The tiny marvels of technology operate in conditions that are far from ideal: the inside of your ear canals where they collect earwax and moisture. Regular cleaning, that you can do yourself, along with routine maintenance provided by your hearing care professional, will give you years of reliable and better hearing.
Here are some tips for looking after your hearing aids:
- Always wash your hands well before cleaning your hearing aids
- Leave hearing aids out when you shower so water and soap can’t damage them.
- If applying hair products like sprays or gels, do this first, and then put in your hearing aids
- Clean your hearing aids just before bedtime. This gives them several hours to air out before you put them in again in the morning.
- Avoid wipes with chemicals or alcohol when cleaning hearing aids as they could damage the devices.
keep them out of extreme hot or cold.
Next week I’ll talk about how you actually clean the hearing aids once they build up wax. Until then, stay safe